I am a PhD student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst in the College of Information and Computer Science. I work with Dr. Hong Yu in the Bio-NLP group. My research interests are in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing.
Prior to UMass, I worked as a software developer at Eze Software in Chicago. I received my Master's Degree in Computer Science at DePaul University, where I worked on projects in Computer Science Education and Recommender Systems. I received my bachelor's degree in IT Management from Universty of Notre Dame, with a minor in Irish Language & Literature.
- June 2017: CIFT was accepted as a poster for the Work-in-Progress session at HCOMP 2017 in Quebec City!
- June 2017: Our podium abstract, Generating a Test of Electronic Health Record Narrative Comprehension with Item Response Theory, was accepted for AMIA 2017 in Washington, DC!
- Summer 2017: Internship with the Alexa team at Amazon Boston!
- December 2016: I gave a talk on our EMNLP paper as part of the UMass CICS Machine Learning and Friends Lunch series on 12/8.
- September 2016: Tsendee's paper Citation Analysis with Neural Attention Models was accepted to the EMNLP LOUHI Workshop!
- July 2016: Our paper Building an Evaluation Scale using Item Response Theory was accepted to EMNLP 2016!
- T. Munkhdalai, J. Lalor, H. Yu. Citation Analysis with Neural Attention Models, In LOUHI 2016 EMNLP Workshop. [pdf]
- J. Lalor, H. Wu, H. Yu. Building an Evaluation Scale using Item Response Theory, In EMNLP 2016. [arXiv pre-print, project page]
- C. Miller, A. Settle, and J. Lalor. Learning Object-Oriented Programming in Python: Towards an Inventory of Difficulties and Testing Pitfalls, SIGITE 2015. [ACM link]
- A. Settle, J. Lalor, and T. Steinbach. Evaluating a Linked-courses Learning Community for Development Majors. In SIGITE 2015. [ACM link]
- A. Settle, J. Lalor, and T. Steinbach. A Computer Science Linked-courses Learning Community, In ITiCSE 2015. [ACM link]
- A. Settle, J. Lalor, and T. Steinbach. Reconsidering the Impact of CS1 on Novice Attitudes. In SIGCSE 2015. [ACM link]
- J. Lalor, H. Wu, H. Yu. CIFT: Crowd-Informed Fine-Tuning to Improve Machine Learning Ability [arxiv]
- J. Lalor, H. Wu, T. Munkhdalai, H. Yu. An Analysis of Machine Learning Ability [arxiv]
Below are a few projects that I've worked on, either as part of a class project or on my own time.
- GutenRecs: "More like this" book recommendations for Project Gutenberg. Final Project for ECT 584: Web Data Mining at DePaul
- An Analysis of Major League Baseball as a Social Network: Final project for CSC 495: Social Network Analysis at DePaul.
- Goodreads Right Click: A Chrome Extension for Searching on Goodreads. I wanted this to exist, so I built it.